The sketchy and inconsistent blog of Bethie Engstrom...

Thursday, April 29, 2010

47 Years Overdue, Book is Returned to Library

Patron pays $171.32 late fee for “Prince of Egypt”

{from The Associated Press} --- Robert Nuranen handed the local librarian a book he had checked out for a ninth-grade assignment – along with a check for 47 years’ worth of late fees.
Nuranen said his mother misplaced the copy of “Prince of Egypt” while cleaning the house. The family came across it every so often, only to set it aside again. He found it last week while looking through a box in the attic.
“I figured I’d better get it in before we waited another 10 years,” he said after turning it in Friday with the $171.32 check. “Fifty-seven years would be embarrassing.”
The book, with its last due date stamped June 2, 1960, was part of the young Nuranen’s fascination with Egypt. He went on to visit that country and 54 others, and all 50 states, he said, but he never did finish the book.
Nuranen now lives in Los Angeles, where he teaches seventh-grade social studies and language arts.
The library had long ago lost any record of the book, librarian Sue Zubiena said.
“I’m going to use it as a example,” she said. “It’s never to late to return you books.”

This is a article clipped from The Seattle Times, dated Monday, January 8, 2007 … I found it with a bunch of other loose papers in some of my old school bins. It made me laugh and I thought to share it.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is funny..... :P sounds like something my family and I would do.......... ^_^ thanks for sharing!!!

emily said...

Haha! Thanks for sharing! That's hilarious! Right now...I have about 70 cents of late fees. I hope it doesn't pile up:]

Cassandra said...

Libby, dear, that was hilarious!

Thanks so much for sharing! (And for awarding my on RJD!!!)

Love you!
Your friend,
Cassie

Lèrowen said...

Wow, and I thought my books I turned in were late. That's just to funny. And if you think about $171.32 isn't a lot of money for a book that's been late for 47 years. =D